Miscellaneous Histories

This section of our website provides access to our digital archives pertaining to Tabernacle




Notes on Sandy Ridge

Residents, Buildings and Maps ©

By Rick Franzen

The area of Sandy Ridge in Tabernacle Township is located below the Carranza Monument, not too far from the former hamlet of Friendship. Some (Ted Gordon and others) have said there are as many as three “Sandy Ridges,” and the geographic area is big enough to support that idea. However, these “notes” are directed at the area once known on Federal Census documents as the tiny hamlet of Sandy Ridge.

An old maxim in genealogy research is to start with “what you know and go back in time.” While in other articles we have started at a known beginning and come forward, today we will start with what we currently see and  go back in time.

The first thing one might notice at the Sandy Ridge site is a large square concrete block that sits just off Carranza Road and is similar in appearance to other nearby sawmill bases. However, the area does not have the sawdust “pits” or any other feature similar to sites at Featherbed, High Crossing and Harris Station. The threaded rods within it are 12” a side. While at the other sites they vary from roughly 26” x 15,” 30” x 30” and 42” by several feet. So, while we can probably rule this out as a “sawmill base,” we could assume some other type of mechanical device was anchored to it.

Large concrete block with threaded rod (Franzen photo)

As one traverses the “hamlet,” several foundations and a cellar hole or two are noticeable. Before we try to identify each, we will travel back in time to see what various maps, aerial photos and other documents show us.

2012 HISTORIC AERIALS MAP

Sandy Ridge area below the gravel road (Carranza Road) (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

This map gives no hint that nothing other than forest and sand roads exist at this location.

1995 HISTORICAL AERIALS MAP

1995 aerial map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

The area of Sandy Ridge is more defined, but still does not indicate any structural presence.

1984 HISTORICAL AERIALS MAP

1984 aerial map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

Just bright white sand roads are all that is clear, but there may be building remnants in the section where Pioneer Gun Club once was. It also may show a utility building next to the cranberry bog.

1984 TOPO MAP

1984 topo map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

The topo map defines a building close to Carranza Road. It appears to be in the same spot as the aerial view.

1973 TOPO MAP

1973 topo map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

This map may be an earlier version of the previous map. Everything seems to be the same. The single building is quite obvious.

1970 HISTORICAL AERIALS MAP

1984 aerial map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

There is the slight hint of a building where the Pioneer Gun Club stood once.

1965 TOPO MAP

1965 topo map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

Again, we see what we have seen in the 1964 and 1973 topo maps.

1963 HISTORICAL AERIALS MAP

1963 aerial map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

Clearer and sharper than most aerials, the Pioneer Gun Club hugs Carranza Road and at least one house is visible. It is also possible there is a house within the “arc” section.

1960 TOPO MAP

1960 topo map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

This is the 4th topo map which has the same features.

1956 HISTORICAL AERIALS MAP

1956 aerial map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

A lot more shows on this map. The gun club is clearly defined, as are three and possibly four houses. Guy Thompson reports that an Earl Hill lived in one of the houses and that two others were leased. One by the Antler Deer Club, possibly the same club now in Shamong. The concrete block is also visible.

1955 Map of Wharton Buildings (courtesy of Guy Thompson)

map courtesy of Guy Thompson

This very interesting state map confirms who occupied which buildings at Sandy Ridge. Pioneer Gun Club is depicted, as is Antlers Gun Club. They are at opposite ends of the property. One building, south of what is believed to be the Holloway House, is rented by an E. R. Hill.  Another building, between the Holloway House and Pioneer Gun Club, is unoccupied.

TWO 1955 COURIER POST NEWPAPER ARTICLES

23 May 1955 Courier Post

The Antler Gun Club held its annual shoot at Sandy Ridge. Barry Sinclair was the winner of the shotgun event and Elmer Devenney captured the rifle contest.

These articles confirm their presence at Sandy Ridge

1955 Courier Post

1954 TOPO MAP

1954 topo map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

Showing Sandy Ridge before the Wharton Track was purchased by the State, there are at least eight buildings visible. Four are inside the “arc,” while two each appear in the Pioneer “triangle” and outside of the “arc.” The 1929 map defines many of these and will be noted there.

1951 TOPO MAP

1951 topo map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

Ten buildings now appear. The additional two are inside the “arc,” and given some information from Guy Thompson, they may be the two buildings moved and added to the Pioneer Deer Club structure.

1951 HISTORICAL AERIALS MAP

1951 aerial map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

Most of the ten buildings in the 1951 topo are visible. Only one of those “outside of the “arc” is visible. The one seemingly missing is the migrant housing dormitory. The Pioneer building seems to have its two additions on it. The utility building beside the bogs also could be shown.

1950 Census

From Ancestory.com

In 1950 it seems only one family lives at Sandy Ridge. It is Earl Hill (born 1887), his wife Rose Ann (born 1926) and their five sons. No occupation is listed for any family member so we might only speculate what either parent did for a living. The children were Earl (age 7), Edward (age 6), Robert (age 5), Barry (age 1) and Thomas (six months).

The census also indicates at least three vacant houses, so this family may be one of the last to reside at Sandy Ridge.

1942 TOPO MAP

1942 topo map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

Surprisingly, only four buildings show on this map. Most likely the mapmaker did not include all there.

1940 CENSUS

From Ancestry.com

1940 Census: In 1940 there were three families living at Sandy Ridge.

Joseph Holloway: With Joseph are his wife Addie and daughters Mabel and Jean. He continues to operate the cranberry bog for the Wharton Estate.

Edward Holloway: Two new members have joined Edwards family. They are son Carol (1931-?) and daughter Shirley (1936-?). Edward is a laborer in the cranberry bogs.

Stanley Bakely: Stanley and his wife Florence, along with their five children, now live at Sandy Ridge. Stanley is a laborer for a road construction outfit. He does not appear to work in the cranberry bogs. The children are Stanley (1933-2011), Vernon (1934-2000), Shirley (1936-2016), Janett (1938-1989) and Virginia (1939-?).

In 1950 the families were living in Tabernacle.

The following pictures are from the Holloway era at Sandy Ridge.

Tabernacle Historical Society – DeMarco Collection

Addie and Mabel Holloway on the porch of the family home in Sandy Ridge.

Tabernacle Historical Society – DeMarco Collection

Jean Holloway Sooy at Sandy Ridge.

Tabernacle Historical Society – DeMarco Collection

Joe Holloway at Sandy Ridge with hound dogs and possible bobcat.

Tabernacle Historical Society – DeMarco Collection

Addie and the children at Sandy Ridge.

Tabernacle Historical Society – DeMarco Collection

Addie Sloan Holloway (1886-1967) with children Mabel and Maud. Interloping is “Lilly.” Circa 1928.

1938 COURIER POST NEWPAPER ARTICLE

7 April 1938 Courier Post

The Sandy Ridge Antlers Club attended the regular meeting of the State Federation of Deer Hunters and Clubs, at the Union Fire Hall in Medford.

1935 COURIER POST NEWPAPER ARTICLE

1 Oct 1935 Courier Post

The Sandy Ridge Antlers Club held a meeting on Warren Avenue in West Berlin.

1934 COURIER POST NEWPAPER ARTICLE

17 Dec 1934 Courier Post

The Sandy Ridge Antler Club went into the deer woods at Harris Station. Thirty-five members and officers participated.

1931 HISTORICAL AERIALS MAP

1951 aerial map (photo credit – Historic Aerials)

Quite out of focus, this is a difficult map to see. But at least nine buildings seem to be there.

1930 CENSUS

From Ancestry.com

1930 Census: A review of the 1930 Tabernacle Census shows the following residents at Sandy Ridge. All worked in the cranberry bogs.

Joseph Holloway: Joseph (1878-?) is a manager of a cranberry farm. With him are his wife Addie (1887-?) and daughters Mabel (1909-?), Maud (1909-?) and Jean (1928-?).

Edward Holloway: Edward is a laborer in the cranberry bogs. He is 25 years old (1905-?) and is the oldest child of Joseph and Addie. His wife is Evelyn (1914-?) and they were married when she was 15.

Joseph Johnson: Joseph is a 54-year-old widower who also is a laborer in the cranberry bogs.

Ernest King:  Another laborer working in the cranberry bogs, Ernest is 28 years old (1902-?). His wife Myrtle (1906-?) and children Daniel (1924-?), Charles (1925-?) and John (1927-?) live with him.

As a side note, this census shows James and Florence Forsythe living at Apple Pie Hill. He and his wife (from Northern Ireland and England) are servants in a sanitarium. And living at White Horse is one Oliver Jackson. Does this confirm a sanitarium on Apple Pie Hill?

1929 MAP FROM THE WHARTON COLLECTION AT THE STATE ARCHIVES

From the NJ State Archives

The location of the Holloway house is pinpointed, and its dimensions are given (18’x30’). The cranberry pickers house is noted, and it is a whopping 22’x125.’ Three other houses are also shown, two at 16’x28’ and one at 16’x32.’ The tool house is also noted over by the cranberry bog.

1920 CENSUS Sandy Ridge

From Ancestry.com

The 1920 Census lists Tabernacle residents who specifically live at Sandy Ridge. Here is a look at them and their families, as well as where they were in previous years. For those who were in the sawmill business, this helps pinpoint the mills year of operation.

William Theodore Bozarth (1861-1939): William is listed as the Manager of cranberry farms. Also, there are son Freemont (1898-?) and wife Anna Bell. Freemont is a laborer in a sawmill. There are two reasons, linked together, that indicate the location of the sawmill is near High Crossing. Henry Beck, in a 1930’s newspaper article, visited the area and noted a sawmill with 20-30-foot-high saw dust piles. He said it was “Bozarth’s Sawmill.”  In the mid 1940’s local resident Harry Worrell and later Rickey Haines recall this particular site with the saw dust piles. By then the piles were only 8-10 foot high, as blueberry farmers had been  taking the sawdust to put beneath their plants. We can trace’s William through census data other sources available on Ancestry.com.

1939 Obituary: William “Old Bill” Bozarth, a well-known figure in the Pines, died on August 2. He was a caretaker of the Wharton Estate and earned national publicity with his encounter with the Jersey Devil in 1928.

1930 Census: William is a caretaker for the Wharton Estate, living with his wife in Washington Township.

The 1930 census could be a mistake in location, show residency at Friendship Bogs, or at a minimum, indicate that the sawmill no longer operates. In fact, when Henry Beck writes of this site in September of 1933, he talks about an abandoned industry here.

1915 Census: William is a sawyer and lives in Bass River Township. With him is his second wife Anna Bell. One six-year-old child (Howard P) lives with them in their rented home.

1910 Census: William is the manager of a lumbermill and lives on East Main Road in Bass River Township. With him are five children, including Freemont,  and his wife Maggie. Son Howard, living with them,  is a sawyer.

1905 Census: William is sawyer and lives in Bass River Township. With him are his wife Maggie and seven children, including Fremont. Son Howard is also a sawyer, while 16-year-old daughter Ella is a sawmill laborer.

1900 Census: William is a sawyer and lives in Bass River Township. With him are his wife Maggie Ford Bozarth (1869- 1912) and five children. Included among the five is Fremont.

Howard Caleb Bozarth: In the 1920 census Howard (1881-1970 )is listed as a sawyer. Undoubtably, he is the son of William T. With him are his wife Hattie (1880-?) and two teenaged children, Stanley (1906-?) and Evelyn (1908- ?).

1940: The family composition is the same as 1930, but they all now live on “New York” Highway in Bass River.

1930 Census: Living on St Louis Avenue in Egg Harbor City, Howard is a “huckster.” His family now includes a son in law and a granddaughter.

1918 Draft Registration: Howard is a “teamster” at Batsto.

1915 Census: Howard is a sawyer, living in Bass River Township, next to his parents, and with his wife Hattie and their two children.

1910 Census: Howard and his family are living with his parents in Bass River Township on East Main Road. He is a sawyer.

1900 Census: 19-year-old Howard lives with his parents on Union Hill Road in New Gretna.

The census data and draft card records show that in 1918 Howard was at Batsto and by 1930 he was in Egg Harbor City. Perhaps this narrows down the years of operation for the sawmill, on the broad side, from 1918-1930.

Peter Cipol: Born in Italy, Peter (1896-?) is a laborer at Friendship Farms. With him are his wife Hatti (1901-?) and son William (1909-?). No other collaborating information was found, but there is a possibility he is the Peter Cipoli later incarcerated in Pennsylvania. Interestingly, next to his name are others also working at Friendship Farms, but living in what appears to be, on the census, Friendship Bogs (?), Hampton Gate Road and one other undecipherable place.

They are Henry Sassanson (unclear spelling), Edward Curtis, Marge Batterson and her son Theodore, George Wishman, son Henry and Granddaughter Rebecca Miller.

Orville Ford: In the 1920 census, Orville (1893-?) works at a sawmill. His particular occupation is not decipherable. It may be farmer. With him are his wife Amanda ( 1892-?) and there three very young children (Elton – 5, Irwin – 2 and Russell – 1).

1950 Obituary: Orville died on 13 April while residing at 137 Grans Street in Hammonton.

1942 Draft Registration: Living at 135 S Monroe Avenue, Orville is employed by Atlantic City Electric Company.

1940 Census: In this census the Ford’s live on Monroe Avenue in Hammonton. His wife and daughter are the only other family members. Orville’s occupation is a “ground hand” in the electric company.

1930 Census: Orville is a truck driver living in Egg Harbor City on Boston Avenue. His wife, as well as another child (Evelyn born 1922) are with him. His wife and daughter are the only other family members.

1915 Census: The family lives in Washington Township. Orville and his wife are living with an older gentleman , Sam Ford, perhaps his father. He is a laborer, while Sam owns the property, and it is a farm.

1910 Census: Single, 17 and living with his father, Orville does “odd jobs.”

So in 1930 Orville is in Egg Harbor City (where Howard Bozarth also is) while in 1915 he is in Washington Township. Again, this helps define the time frame for the operation of the sawmill.

Robert Maxwell: Born about 1853, Robert seems to be the oldest resident of Sandy Ridge. He is a laborer in a sawmill and lives alone.

1885 Census: A J. Robert maxwell and his family (Emma and Maggie, Sarah, William and Joseph) live in Randolph Township.

1880 Census: A Robert Maxwell, born about 1854, lives in Bass River and works in a paper Mill. With him are Emma, Maggie, Sarah, William and Joseph.

1920 CENSUS Washington Township

From Ancestry .com

This census shows the Holloway Family living in Jenkins Neck. Head of household Joseph is a farm laborer. So, his family moved to Sandy Ridge after 1920 and probably before 1928 (see picture).

1910 CENSUS (Washington Township)

From Ancestry.com

Joseph and his family live in Washington Township. Since his neighbors are the Mark Alloway family and the Julius Gerber family, he is living at Friendship. Joseph is the manager of a cranberry bog (Friendship Bogs).

Further research of earlier censuses turned up very little cohesive information. The land had been part of the Wharton Estate and undoubtably any study of its deeds would be very time consuming. Yet we will continue to seek earlier information. It would be especially helpful to know when the Sandy Ridge bogs were established.

An added bonus to this article is a summary of comments made by Jean Holloway Sooy in an oral, taped interview from 1992. It was one of at least ten such tapings set up by Garfield DeMarco and carried out by Betsy Carpenter.

THE JEAN SOOY INTERVIEW

The interview was conducted by Betsy Carpenter and Garfield DeMarco on August 10, 1992. Notes were taken from a video provided by Stockton University and with permission of the Woodland Township Historical Society.

Jean’s parents were Joseph Holloway and Addie Sloan. Her siblings were Eddie and twins Mabel and Maud. Jean was born in 1927, her sisters in 1908 and her brother in 1904.

Sandy Ridge was a cranberry only operation, no blueberries.

Neighbors at Friendship Bog were John and Anna Shinske, with their children Johnny and Alice. Alice was a deaf mute. Dominick Renzi was a worker at Friendship, which grew both blueberries and cranberries.

The WPA made Carranza Road a gravel Road.

In 1954 a massive forest fire hit the area. Jean went to Mt Holly. Rain came at the last minute and saved their property.

A friend was Ruth Eldridge Gerber, she was six years older than Jean. Ruth’s father was the railroad station master for the Atsion and the Chatsworth stations.

The two horses at Sandy Ridge belonged to the Wharton Estate.

In the wintertime ice was cut from the cranberry bogs. It was placed in either of two ice houses at Sandy Ridge. They were five to six feet deep. Sawdust was collected from a nearby sawmill (where there was a huge mound) ( probably Bozarth’s) and packed around the ice.

Sandy Ridge never had electricity.

At least six photographs were discussed in the interview. Many later became part of the “DeMarco” collection.

Joe Holloway’s father (Jean’s grandfather) was killed at Harrisville. Jean did not know the story.

In 1941 the family moved from Sandy Ridge to Chatsworth. Eddie Holloway moved to Tabernacle, near the “Haines” store.

Eddie’s wife ( Evelyn Applegate) drove a bus for the school district. Eddie worked for the County.

Joe Johnson left Sandy Ridge in 1942.

Hector Nicholson left about this time and he later married another resident Aura ??, who was a nurse.

Jean’s maternal grandparents were Edward Sloan and Christina Cobb.

Stephen and Anna Lee were neighbors at Speedwell. They had a big house on the west side of Route 563. It burned when Jean was quite young.

The Lee’s separated and Anna moved to Mt Holly. Stephen moved to Philadelphia.

Jean attended school for two years in Tabernacle, then went to Chatsworth.  It seems like she went to 2nd and 3rd in Tabernacle and the school was the two-room schoolhouse by the Town Hall site. Her teachers were Betty Wilkins and May Stucky. This probably was about 1934-5. Jean remembers that the school was moved in 1936.

As she recalled, 7th and 8th graders went to Vincentown schools.

The twins went to school in Tabernacle and not to the school at Friendship (it may have been closed by then).

Joe Holloway used to have watermelon and cantaloupe parties at Sandy Ridge. He grew many vegetables by the homestead.

Jean sorta remembers the workers house at Sandy Ridge, it was not very near her house.

SANDY RIDGE LAND OWNERSHIP PRIOR TO STATE ACQUISITION

The land mass at Sandy Ridge came into state ownership in the 1950’s. Prior to that it had been part of the Joseph Wharton Tract. Using some relevant maps and property deeds we can approximate earlier ownership of that area called “Sandy Ridge,” where a small hamlet was once located.

Wharton tract land deals are confusing and not easy to trace. What may have been an individual land plot before Joseph Wharton’s land grab and the State’s consolidation of his properties, would eventually be lumped in with other plots and treated as one big tract. So to locate an early deed, one has to know the exact location of the land in question.

Today’s Sandy Ridge sits on Carranza Road, between the Featherbed and Tulpehocken Creeks. Luckily there is a collection of maps dated 1927 of Wharton’s holdings. This map collection can be found in the State Archives. As we look at two of the maps one can find what appears to be the Sandy Ridge area ( sheets 1 and 2 of the collection). However, there are no place names noted.

But what is noted is the size, previous owner and deed citation of individual lots. Wow! So, when we overlay the 1949 topo map with the 1927 Wharton map, we can confirm the Sandy Ridge location on both and now have deed information to research. The map indicates that Geo Dallas sold the land to Joseph Wharton.

In 1874 (30 September) Joseph Wharton purchased this area from one George M Dallas   (Burlington County deed book A9 page 75). The price was $150.00. Dallas was selling the land as a trustee for the estate of William Patterson of Philadelphia. No acreage is mentioned in this deed but the 1927 map seems to indicate 47.7 acres. It is mentioned that it is “a large tract of land from the Atsion Estate.” The estate was partitioned by A K Hay, William Parry and Franklin Earle.

In 1865 (18 March) William Patterson purchased this area from John Stratton, Master (Burlington County deed book E7 page 396. The price was $500 and the acreage seems to be 119.25 acres.

A “Master” may have been used in this sale because two individuals, Franklin and Taunton Earl seemed to have been in a dispute about it. The land may have been owned earlier by Thomas Earl (possibly the father of Franklin and Taunton). Thomas may have purchased the land in 1758.

Notes on Friendship Mill

Tabernacle’s Friendship Property by Rick Franzen ©

Our first inkling of a sawmill at Friendship comes from a November 1711 document recorded with the West Jersey Proprietors (West Jersey Loose Records 1711 Hayns, John) now on file in the NJ State Archives. The West Jersey Loose Records date to the 1600’s and were one of the many sets of documents use by the Proprietors of East and West Jersey to document land transactions. Eventually all records were donated to the State Archives.In short, the process by which land was acquired in the Colony went something like this. In West Jersey  the Proprietors allocated the land via a process that usually had five steps (Using the records of the East and West Jersey Proprietors, Joe Klett, 2014).

  1. A “dividend” was declared, and a share of acreage rights was apportioned to shareholders.
  2. The shareholder applied for a “warrant.”
  3. The Surveyor General received the warrant and laid out the tract of land.
  4. A “return of survey” was completed and then approved by the Council.
  5. A deed was granted to the shareholder.

So our 1711 document seems to be from step four above. In it two surveys are noted, one of 50 acres and one of 2240 acres. With the larger survey, mention is made of seven individuals sharing in the land (the shareholders). The land is described as “On a branch of Ancocas Creek, to a cedar swamp road, on a creek called Cuttuxink, Burlington County.

Here is a copy of the greater part of the survey. You probably will not be able to read it but should be able to get the basics of it.

Courtesy NJ State Archives

The seven individuals (each with an equal interest of 340 acres) are John Haines, Richard Haines, William Haines, Thomas Wilkins, John Borton, Benjamin Moore and Jonathan Haines. This information is also contained in the 1902 book, by Richard Haines, entitled “Ancestry of the Haines, Sharp, Collins, (and nine other) Families” published by Sinnickson Chew and Sons Company. This book also identifies the survey as the “Friendship Tract.”

Many of the documents of this early era tended to confuse us a bit because they seemed to indicate that the Friendship area was in Evesham Township. However, a quick look at the history of that Township (https://evesham-nj.org/resident/history) shows that,when created in 1692 as one of 13 townships in Burlington County, it included today’s Shamong and Washington townships. In 1802 Washington Township was carved out. Shamong, established about 1853, was carved out around that year.

From the “Clovercroft Chronicles 1314-1893” by Mary Haines we have confirmation that Jonathan was the son of John. She further states that the 2290 acres were purchased after the survey by John, “his brother Richard, son Jonathan and others.” The land was located at the Friendship Mill on a branch of the Rancocas. “After the survey was made, they bought the Indian title and received deeds from the chief We-Sosig.” (This is not mentioned in the land allocation process)

The relationship of some of the individuals is straight forward. But first a little history. This information comes from the Richard Haines book. In the spring of 1682, the Haines Family left Downs, England on the ship “Amity.” They arrived in Burlington that fall, without the father Richard Haines, who had died on board. While Richard and his wife Margaret had at least six children, three of them were involved with the land survey. They were John, Richard and William. 

We do not know the year when the sawmill was constructed, but we do have a reference to its existence in 1730. In the Richard Haines book, Haines discusses a sawmill built by the Haineses at Chairville (Medford) which was in use until 1730. He goes on to say “…. when they sold the land and mill site, having built a mill at Friendship a few years before. John Peacock was a sawyer at Haines’ Creek Mill until Friendship Mill was built and then John was a sawyer at Friendship.”

However, we do have a document, dated in the spring of 1714 (Mill Agreement – Burlington County Historical Society) which outlines the legal partnership between six of the seven original partners. William Haines is not a part of the group. In a 1753 deed (Enoch Haines to Charles Read – West Jersey Deeds Book K, Page 460) mention is made that William had released his share to his partners. So, William’s departure from the partnership occurred prior to or during 1714.

Signature page (New Jersey State Archives)

It appears that the six individuals (John Haines, Thomas Wilkins, Richard Haines, Jonathan Haines, John Borton and Benjamin Moore)  share equally in the costs of construction, repairs, and maintenance of the property.

While agreed upon in 1714, the document may not have been “filed” ( with the West Jersey Proprietors) until 1743/4. It is on this date that Judge Thomas Shinn signs the document and affirms that it was agreed upon in 1714.

In addition to five of the six original owners signing the form, we see the names of at least two witnesses. They are Obediah Eldridge and Esther Haines (probable sister of John Borton).

But just exactly where was the 2000+ acres located? Without a survey map, at this time we can only speculate. A land plot, using the dimensions shown in a 1744 deed, shows the land to be somewhat triangular. It may be following the course of Friendship Creek or Bread and Cheese Run.

However, we can trace some ownership if we look at the wills and deed transfers of the partners.

WILLS

  1. John Haines

In his 1728 will, John Haines leaves his share in the sawmill to his sons Josiah and Caleb Haines and nearby lands to son Jonathan. From the 1902 book we see his will quoted as follows “ I also give to my said son Josiah Haines, his heirs and assigns forever, the one full equal half part of my sawmill and my land thereto.” And, “I give and devise unto my son Caleb Haines all the remaining full equal half part of my said sawmill and land thereto belonging.” For Jonathan we read “I give unto my said son Jonathan Haines, his heirs and assigns forever, all my part of the above mill pond or the land that said pond of water covers.”

John Haines lived in a house, known as Friendship Farms, on Fostertown Road in Medford. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places (in 1976). The report establishing its history also provides a solid genealogy of the family and mentions the 2240-acre purchase of the Friendship tract.    

  1. Richard Haines

Richard Haines died in 1746 and his will is dated December 1744. There is no mention of a sawmill in the will.

  • William Haines

William Haines gave up his share of the tract of land about 1714 and his will, logically, makes no mention of the sawmill property.

  • Jonathan Haines

When Jonathan Haines passes in 1729, he leaves a ½ share to his son John. No mention is made of the other ½ share.

  • Benjamin Moore

Benjamin Moore died in 1737 and his son John died in 1812. John’s will gave his share to Hosea Moore, his son. Hosea died in 1838 and it is entirely probable that his son Aaron B  Moore is the individual mentioned as an owner (along with J Irick) in the 1849 Otley and Whiteford map.

Both the 1858 Kuhn and Janney map, as well as the 1859 Lake and Beers map, mention J. S. Irick and A. B. Moore as owners of the sawmill. But by 1876 ( in the Scott Atlas), A. B. Moore is the only owner noted. A. B. died in 1877. Before we take a look at who took over his shares,  we need to review two other of the original owners of the tract.

  • Thomas Wilkins

Thomas Wilkins died in 1791. In his estate his interest in the sawmill was left to his grandsons Jacob and Thomas (their father was another Jacob Wilkins). Grandson William is probably the person who sold the Tabernacle Church and Cemetery plot to the 28 cemetery owners.

  • John Borton

John Borton may not have ever owned any of the mill. According to the 1753 deed mentioned earlier, he too gave up his share his share of the ownership circa 1714.

  • William Burr

Somehow,  William Burr did end up with a piece of the action. In his will of 1795, he mentions his share of the Friendship Sawmill, along with “lot of land for school house and residue of plantation, to be sold for debts.” How Burr obtained a share of the mill is not yet clear. Henry Bisbee, in “Sign Posts,” mentions that William Burr operated the sawmill in 1795. His source of information was William’s will and Woodward and Hageman’s “History of Burlington and Mercer Counties.

DEEDS

  1. Richard Haines

While Richard’s will is silent about the sawmill,  we do have an indenture (from the Burlington County Historical Society) in which Richard sells his share of the sawmill to his sons Carlile and Enoch. Dated December 10, 1744, it is written about the time (13 December 1744) Richard’s will was developed. So, Richard’s share of the mill went to two of his sons. The selling price was twenty pounds for Richard’s one fifth share of the mill. The one fifth share has changed from a one seventh share after John Borton and William Haines left the group.

A 1753 deed (West Jersey deeds Book K Page 460) details the sale of Enoch’s share. It’s listed as a one seventh share and is sold to Charles Read (of ironmaster fame?) for 90 pounds. The deed also details ownership changes for four of the original seven partners.

There is a 1762 indenture in which Carlile Haines sells his share of the mill to his son Ezekiel Haines. The site is called Haines Mill and it sits upon 2190 acres. This is fifty acres short of the 1711 survey number. However, if you add in the additional 50 acres mentioned in that 1711 survey, the 2240 acres of the first survey is equaled. So the question is, was the mill also known as the Haines Mill, or both the Haines Mill and Friendship Mill, or perhaps the Haines Mill at Friendship?

For a possible answer we can turn to an 1887 document. When Albert Jones and Lewis Sharp purchase a property of 4.24 acres, its location is noted as “On the southerly side of Haines Mill Stream now called the Friends Mill Stream, Woodland Township.” Sharp and Jones were later owners of the property and played a major role in the establishment of the Amity Cranberry Company.

Meanwhile, Ezekiel sells his share to Bethuel Moore, a son of Benjamin Moore.

Meanwhile, Ezekiel sells his share to Bethuel Moore, a son of Benjamin Moore. (See WJ deed Haines to Moore Volume A-N page 383, NJ Archives)

So, by 1753 Richard Haines’s 1711 share has passed on to Charles Read and Ezekiel Haines.

  • John Haines

There are no John Haines deeds as he bequeathed his share to sons Josiah and Caleb.

  • William Haines

No deeds since he left the partnership early on.

  • John Borton

No deeds since he left the partnership early on.

  • Jonathan Haines

In the 1753 deed it is mentioned that Jonathan left his share to his sons John and Nehemiah.

  • Thomas Wilkins

In his will, Thomas left his share to grandsons Jacob and Thomas.

No relevant deeds have yet been found, but we can trace ownership through to Hosea Moore.

In the 1782 Article of Agreement between the owners (Burlington County Historical Society) we are given the actual breakdown of who owns what percentage. Even though the 1711 survey listed seven partners, and the 1714 agreement notes six, shares in the ownership are based on the number seven.

 This leads to speculation that one of the original seven (William Haines) sold or granted their share to another. And because John Moore holds “three sevenths and a quarter,” it is likely him.

Here is the breakdown:

John Moore             “three sevenths and a quarter of a seventh”   (3.25 shares)

William Burr            “one fifth and a quarter of a seventh”              (0.45 shares)

Bethuel Moore        “holding one seventh”                                         (1 share)

John Moore Jr         “holding half a seventh”                                          (0.50 share)

Benjamin Wilkins    “holding one third of a seventh”                           (0.33 share)

Thomas Wilkins       “one sixth of two sevenths”                                    (0.33 share)

Jacob Willits             “one sixth of two sevenths”                                    (0.165share)

Mecajah Wilkins     “one third of two sevenths”                                    (0.33 share)  

William Wilkins       “one third of two sevenths”                                    (0.33 share)

When added together the total is 6.935 shares, a shortage of 0.65 share (which equals two thirds of two sevenths. This is a very confusing allocation method for us in today’s world, but certainly made sense to the participants in the 1700’s.

However, most revealing is the owners  who are not listed.  There are no Haineses.                   

So we can document that by 1782 the Haines Family interest in the sawmill seems to have faded. One can wonder if there may be a connection with the Revolutionary War, since it ended in 1783. The Haineses were Quakers and very possibly could have been Loyalist. Thus, they may have lost their holdings when the British lost the war.

It is also interesting to note that in 1841 and 1842 John Irick obtains a share of the sawmill from two Haineses, who were acting as executors for the estate of one Samuel Haines.

In the 1849 Otley and Whiteford map the sawmill owners are listed as J. Irick and A. B. Moore.

1849 Otley and Whiteford (Tabernacle Historical Society)

A summary the original seven owners and disposition of their shares is:

John Haines left his two sons Josiah and Caleb equal shares in 1728.

Richard Haines sold his share to his Carlile and Enoch in 1744.

William Haines withdrew from the partnership.

Jonathan Haines left one half share to his son John in 1729.

Benjamin Moore passed his share to his son Benjamin, then it went to his son John, then to his son Hosea and then to his son Aaron.

John Borton withdrew from the partnership

Thomas Wilkins left his share to his grandsons Jacob and Thomas.

Even with the wills, deeds and potential census data, tracing ownership changes to  A. B. Moore and John Irick is troublesome. While we can clearly see the line of succession from Benjamin to Aaron Moore, we do not know how large a share Aaron ended up with or from whom it all came. So next we will try to pick up the ownership line with Moore and Irick to see what their era contains.

Aaron Bishop Moore (1807-1877) is the son of Hosea Moore (1772-1838). Hosea is the son of John Moore (1736-1812) and John is the son of Benjamin Moore Junior (1700-1795). In turn his father is Benjamin Moore Sr. (1665-1754) one of the partners from the 1711 survey.

But by Aaron’s time of involvement, the property has been broken up into many sub parcels, making it almost impossible to follow exact lines of ownership. So we will present what information we have and hopefully provide some thoughts on what was occurring.

In 1737 Benjamin Moore Sr. granted land to Benjamin Moore (his son) and to a Joseph Moore (review deed again)

In 1744 Enoch Haines granted land to Benjamin Moore Jr.

In 1851 the executors of Samuel Haines advertise the sale of 16 acres of pine land near by Friendship Mill. Samuel may at one time had an ownership interest in the sawmill.

In 1858 we have the following happening, which appeared in the June 3rd, 1858 newspaper, The Monmouth Inquirer.

“ Painful accident – Alfred Moore, son of Aaron B. Moore, living near Tabernacle, Shamong Township, Burlington County, says the Mount Holly Mirror, met with a serious accident on Wednesday, the 26th inst. It appears a boy had borrowed a gun of Moore, and went in quest of crows, and on returning had left it cocked. Moore then placed the gun under his arm, as is supposed to have a chat with the boy, when the gun went off, lodging the whole charge in his shoulder, tearing the flesh in a shocking mannar, and it is feared the wound will result fatally.”

An 1865 ad in the New Jersey Mirror mentions the sale of 14 acres of “ripe pine and oak timber.” It is located on the road from Friendship Mill to the Powell Place. Also in the same advertisement is the sale of 3 acres of ripe timber, on the Batsto, about a mile below Goose Ponds. While the sale agents are mentioned (Benjamin Ridgeway and Samuel Woolman), the owners are not. But the “subscribers” will be at Friendship Mill to show the wood lot.

New Jersey Mirror 23 November 1865

Before his 1877 death, Aaron sold two parcels of land to his daughter Adelaide for $2500. This particular deed lists two tracts of land, one of 237.32 acres and the other of 41.69 acres. Both plots had passed to Aaron from his father Hosea.  

In 1880 we do have a deed which transfers part of Aaron’s land (he is now deceased) to John Irick. Aaron had passed in 1877 and in his will made his wife Ascah and his friend Franklin Earl, executors. The plot of land was part of a larger parcel, some 41.69 acres, Aaron had sold to his daughter Adelaide in 1875. The 1880 deed seems to be the last one involving the Moore family.

The probate of Aaron’s will in 1880 is interesting. It documents the distribution of his assets and establishes that his liabilities were higher. After the sale of his holdings and receipt of other incomes, his estate still owed $866.80. The assets of the estate totaled $7601.11 and the liabilities were $8467.97.

A lot of timber and “soil” was sold, as well as at least 12 plots of land totaling about 277 acres. In addition to the sale of the “mill” to John Irick (some 42.29 acres), we also see the sale of the Fox Chase Farm (40.6 acres) to William Irick. And “opposite the Fox Chase,” 6.55 acres to J. Irick. These final transactions seem to end the Moore Family’s direct connection with Friendship Mill.

There are no less than four deeds which link John S Irick to the Friendship site. Two maps, the 1849 Ortly-Whiteford and the 1859 Kuhn and Janney also display his name. More connections certainly exist and eventually will be located.

1859 Kuhn and Janney map modified to eliminate map juncture

In 1842 John Chambers sells Irick 4 acres for $1000. The land contains a sawmill and the legal description of the land begins at “the middle of the bridge crossing Friendship Mills Creek on the road leading from Red Lion to Sooy’s Tavern.” John Chambers was not one of the original founders of the site and seems to have obtained a “half-moiety” from Thomas Haines and George Haines via deed (Burlington County deeds  Book  II 3 Page 325) in 1832.

The other “half-moiety” was obtained in 1841 from George Haines (Burlington County Deeds  Book  II 3 Page 327). George and Thomas were executors for Samuel Haines in 1832, but it seems not in 1841.

Another notable event of this era was the establishment of Woodland Township in the year 1866. The Friendship stone marker is noted not only as a boundary line for the new township, but also as the former boundary for Shamong and Southampton townships (Tabernacle will not be incorporated for another thirty-five years).

By 1880 Aaron Moore’s estate has sold his land to John Irick and not too much later, (in 1886) Irick sells the land, for $1000 to Albert W. Jones. Jones pays $200 cash and mortgages the remaining $800. In the deed (Burlington County deeds Book 11, Page 459) mention is once again made of the Friendship Cornerstone. John Irick dies in 1894 and, quite naturally, no mention is made in his will of Friendship Sawmill.

In 1891, in his annual report, The State Geologist acknowledges that the sawmill on Friendship Creek, owned by Albert Jones, is “not in use.”

1891 State Geologist Report (Hathi Trust)

Albert Jones, born in 1851, is a life-long area resident who, on his maternal side, descends from the Willits family. In the 1900 census he lives in Woodland Township and is a cranberry farmer. It’s quite possible he is living at the sawmill site, as part of this was in Woodland, prior to Tabernacle’s incorporation. By 1905 he is listed as a “landlord” in the State census.

In 1910 we do see that the sawmill is once again operational as both Obadiah and Alexander Foulks are laborers in a sawmill and provide a home for Albert. Albert seems to also have a job in the lumber industry. Their residence is on Friendship Road in Tabernacle.

1915 New Jersey Census (Ancestry.Com)

On 9 July 1909 the Amity Cranberry Company was founded 1909 Corporations of New Jersey – State Library). Albert Jones (of Medford) was the Secretary, while R. S. Sharp, also of Medford, was the treasurer (27 July 1909, Mount Holly Herald). The President was Theodore Bailey of New York City.

At first the corporate agent was Frank Earle of Egbert Street in Pemberton, but on December 13th of 1909, this was changed to R. S. Sharp of Medford. $25,000 in capital stock was authorized with 250 shares valued at $100 each. The company actually began with just $1000.

The $1000 represents just 10 of the 250 shares. According to the incorporation files (Burlington County deeds Book F Pages 208-214, Burlington County Clerks Office), those ten shares were distributed as follows: Henry Ward of Philadelphia, five shares; Carlton Geist of Medford, 4 shares and Graham Woodard of Philadelphia, 1 share.

Just after the July incorporation, Albert Jones sold his acreage to Amity Cranberry Company for $1500. The land then contained 201.12 acres. Listed also as a grantor are Lewis and Rebecca Sharp. While Jones bought the land from John Irick in 1886, it is not yet clear how the Sharps obtained a later interest in it.

On April 11 1918  a Sheriff’s sale of two properties owned by Albert Jones is completed. (March 19, 1918, Mount Holly News). This was a result of a civil suit by Keturah Irick Lippincott, granddaughter of John Irick. Possibly Albert had defaulted on his $800 mortgage from 1889. One plot is 42.28 acres. The other’s size is not mentioned other than it was sold by John Irick’s wife to Albert Jones.

19 March 1918 Mount Holly News

Later on (May 11, 1918)  as the executrix for Lewis Sharp, Rebecca Sharp, along with Albert Jones, sells a 42.28-acre plot, as well as a 4-acre plot, to Amity Cranberry Company. Proceeds from the sale total $6,600. A third sale of a six-acre plot is also included and this is a piece of land which John and Emaline Irick had sold to Albert Jones in 1886. Complicated? Quite! In fact, it becomes so complicated, we’ll skip the sale of another tract of land containing 0.73 acres! 

Before we move on to the Spaeth era, we can take a look at the Sharp family. Dr Lewis Sharp was a physician who had lived on Union Street in Medford. He was born in 1841 and did not marry Rebecca Bailey until 1904. When he passed away in 1910, Rebecca must have been his executor, as that is how she is identified in the 1918 sale of Dr Lewis’ share in Friendship.

This was Rebecca’s second marriage. Her first was to Edward Sharp, Lewis’ younger brother. It ended with his death in 1888. The Theodore Bailey of New York City more likely than not, is Rebecca’s brother (Sharp/Steele Family Tree on Ancestry .com). Born in Pennsylvania, his 1928 obit asks Philadelphia newspapers to “please copy.” This was a common practice before the era of today’s split second and mass communication. Another name which pops up in some of the deeds is Beulah Given (1876- ?). The limited information we have on her shows her husband is Dr. Horace Given and that they married in 1901. It’s quite possible that she is the sister of Albert Jones, as they both appear as siblings in the Amoore Family Tree at Ancestry.com.

The Spaeth era begins about 1938. We have a fascinating appraisal of the Amity Cranberry property completed in 1936 by Medford Realtor W. H. Bowker. Not only does it describe some 348 acres of land, but also four dwellings which were on the site.

Upper Lake reservoir – 40 acres – value $1000

Center Lake  – 50 acres with 32 acres in cranberry plants – value $10000

Lower Lake – 42 acres – gates and dam out – value $1000

Timber land – 100 acres – cut and uncut – value $3500

Brush land – 11 acres – value $55

Cranberry land – 5 acres – value $250. This totals 248 acres with a value of  $15805.

The buildings are described and valued as:

  1. 2 ½ story frame dwelling east of the lower pond 24×30 with one story kitchen 6×12 and porch. This sounds very much like the former schoolhouse which became the home of the Spaeths and was torn down some 15 or 20 years ago. Yet may not be as the Spaeth building is on the west side of the lake and is only one story. Value is $1000.
  2. Cranberry storage House on west side of lower pond, frame 20×60 with ell 20×20. The foundations of this building can easily be seen today. The building was torn down prior to 2000 as it was falling apart. While the 20×60 measurement holds true, the 20×20 ell is actually 20×24 feet. Value is $1000.
Cranberry storage building foundation in 2021 (Franzen Photo)


3. Frame office adjoining. Still standing, seems structurally sound, but needs rehab. Value is $50.

Office building front (Franzen Photo)
Office building rear (Franzen Photo)

4. Frame dwelling west of the cranberry storage house, 15×25. This two-story building is still standing and has had several additions placed upon it. Its original dimensions seem to be 15×23. One addition to the north side measures approximately 24×47 feet, while a smaller “lean to” measures 8×23 feet. The original house is clearly visible within the added structures. Value is $250.

Frame dwelling (Franzen photo)

Frame dwelling (Franzen photo)

The total value of the land, buildings and personal property is just over $18,000.

A 1936 tax bill for Amity shows an annual tax of $70.80 for 100 acres “bog and brush.” Undoubtedly this is for the aforementioned cranberry acreage, even though the lot size is different.

In our possession we have a short “recollection” of the property, believed to be written of the time when the Spaeth’s purchased the land. Here is a relevant excerpt of it.

“Friendship was a forgotten town of New Jersey. In 1938 when the property was purchased by the Spaeth Family, years of neglect had taken its toll. Most buildings were falling down, and everything was overgrown with brush. Trees were covered with masses of briars. The dam on Friendship Creek was out and the cranberry bog grew up in trees.

The one-room schoolhouse was built in the nineteenth century. It was restored and became the nucleus of the Spaeth home which was built around it over a period of years. The ground was cleared and made productive.

The remains of the old sawmill could be seen and some timbers from the water wheel were visible, but now are rotted away. In the early eighteenth century a canal was dug by hand to divert the water from Bread and Cheese Run to furnish waterpower to run the sawmill. Unfortunately, this canal was dirt filled in 1986 or 1987.

Years ago, the dam on the lower lake (formerly a cranberry bog) was a stagecoach route going to Chatsworth and the shore. Not far from where the sawmill was is an old spreading oak tree in whose roots can be seen a large iron stone. The stone marks the location where Shamong, Woodland and Southampton Townships met. Tabernacle Township was carved from the three townships and in 1901 Tabernacle Township was Chartered.”

The Spaeths did not purchase the entire Amity Cranberry Company Tract of 248 acres. A review of available deeds shows they did purchase the following three tracts totaling 29.02 acres.

The Spaeth deeds are dated October 7, 1938. The deed with the largest plot size is for 22.29 acres (Burlington County deeds Book 894 Page 385). The grantors are Bessie (Beulah) Given and Daisey Davis, Executrixes of the last will and testament of Albert Jones, deceased.

The second deed is for a six-acre plot (Burlington County deeds Book 894 Page 388). Its grantor is Bessie Given, widow.

And finally, the deed for .073 acres was granted to the Spaeths by the Amity Cranberry Company (Burlington County deeds Book 894 Page 391).

On the 21st of October in 1938, the Spaeths enter into an agreement with Amity Cranberry Company. Bessie Givens represents the Company. Amity is granted the right to dam water on the Friendship Mill Stream and is given full access to the canal as a water supply. Amity is also given the right to cross Spaeth property should they need to.

The Spaeths sell the property in 1978 (Burlington County deeds Book 2110 Page 326) to the Camden County Council of Girl Scouts. The sale price is $100,000. The grantors are given the right to remain residing in their house, farm one acre of land and use the mechanical water pump. This agreement is valid until 1991, or until they pass away. Should they die before 1988, their son Donald could have his parents’ rights until 1991. So ends the Spaeth era.

A 1947 deed ( Burlington County deeds Book 1039 Pages 422-431) from the Amity Cranberry Company transfers eight parcels of land, totaling some 353.42 acres to a Robert Bennett. The first parcel contains 42.28 acres less six acres which is possibly owned by the Spaeth Family. Parcel three, containing 5.73 acres, mentions a corner stone lettered “W. T.” This is in reference to land once owned by William Taylor.

Other parcel sizes are 4 acres (parcel 2), 201.12 acres (parcel 4), 15.87 acres (parcel 5), 35.83 acres (parcel 6), 54.36 acres (parcel 7) and 0.23 acres (parcel 8). The last parcel was once owned by the Spaeth Family. It was in 1950 that Bennett sold the very same lands to the Camden County Council of Girl Scouts (Burlington County Deeds Book 1090 Page 494).

As we do the “math” on all of these acreages, we see that some numbers do not add up. For instance, at one point the Amity Tract is 248 acres and at another it is 353+ acres. And when we look at the 1711 parcel size we find mention of 2240 and 2290 acres. Over the 236 years we have traced the history of the property, tracts have been subdivided, consolidated under one owner, and perhaps deeds have not even recorded. While it may be possible to trace the 1711 boundaries to 2022 block and lot numbers, the scope of that task is monumental and not worthy of this study.

Edited by Ann Franzen and Mary Ann Silvers

Notes on Paisley Part 1

by Rick Franzen

The story of Paisley’s existence, a land fraud scheme in then Woodland Township and now Tabernacle Township, begins about 1888 and ends within a few years. However, its legacy continues to intrigue history buffs till this day. Just last year one of the last remaining buildings was unceremoniously destroyed as it sat decaying on Route 563 in Chatsworth. We will begin in 1888 and in multiple installments, tell the story as we have discovered it. The easiest way for us to relate this tale is to present our research notes, relevant documents, available illustrations and comments. First the purchase of the lands.

1888 19 June: (deed B V11 p 257) Victor Ritzendollar sells 83.62 acres of land in Woodland Twp. to H. Alfred Freeman, of Queens NY. Price is $209.00. Goes along the road near “200 yards from Old White Horse formerly stood”

1888 24 June: (ad from The World, NY) retyped by person unknown.

1888 4 July: (deed B V11 p 482) Victor Ritzendollar sells 162.48 acres of land in Woodland Twp. to H. Alfred Freeman, of Queens NY. Price is $406.26. “Where the Old White Horse Tavern formerly stood.”

1888 12 July: (deed B V11 p 451) Victor Ritzendollar sells 81.75 acres of land in Woodland Twp. to H. Alfred Freeman, of Queens NY. Price is $203.88. “Where the old White Horse Tavern formerly stood.”

1888 13 July: (deed B W11 p 571) Victor Ritzendollar sells 173 acres of land in Woodland Twp. to H. Alfred Freeman, of Queens NY. Price is $441.00.

A typical Freeman purchase deed looks like this.

Start of deed – Book 11 Page 257

And here is the signature at the end of the deed. Note that only the seller signs, and in this case his “mark” is presented because he does not know how to write.

End of deed – Book 11 Page 259

We have not located each and every deed in which Freeman purchased land, but we have documented well over 800 acres. Later on, we will show that this particular land scheme total much beyond 1200 acres. We have also noted that this project was one of at least four, with the possibility of many others. Freeman began by selling swamp land in Ocala, Florida and moved on to land on Long Island, New York and Hawley, Pennsylvania.

In order to keep information in a chronological order, the following 1888 newspaper article is illustrated.

1888 30 July: (The Evening World, New York) News article – Fire and theft at the Freeman office in New York. “Excelsior used as accelerant.” See Henry Beck story 29 September 1941.

1888 30 July The Evening World, New York

And yet another land purchase.

1888 3 Aug: (deed B W11 p 577) Victor Ritzendollar sells 323.2 acres of land in Woodland Twp. to H. Alfred Freeman, of Queens NY. Price is $808.30. “Goes along the road from the Old White Horse Place to Sooy Place.”

Many of these deeds reference “White Horse.” White Horse was Inn and Tavern which by 1888 no longer stood. It is not the same as the White Horse Inn in Chatsworth, which was probably constructed about this time. We are currently putting together a report on Tabernacle’s early inns and taverns, and it will be published after our Paisley report is complete.

1888 4 September: (deed Z11 P 525) Earliest located deed of a land sale at Paisley. Pauline Freeman (relative?) purchased lots 18 and 19 in block 71. The deed is a preformatted “fill in the blank” form. H Alfred Freeman and his wife Vespers have both signed it.

1888 deed H Freeman to P Freeman Book Z Page 525

Another sale of land by Ritzendollar to Freeman.

1888 6 September: (deed B W11 p 331) Victor Ritzendollar sells 114.82 acres of land in Woodland Twp. to H. Alfred Freeman, of Queens NY. Price is $286.56.

And now a receipt for the purchase of a few lots.

1888 11 September: (NJ State Archives Lee Collection) Receipt for purchase of land by Henry Cortelyou. He paid $21.00 for two lots. This is the first of three purchases he made.

1888 11 September property receipt

1888 19 September: (Book 276 page 161) The deed is registered for sale of two lots to Henry Cortelyou.

1888 19 September Henry Cortelyou deed

And another land purchase by Freeman.

1888 10 October: (deed B W11 p 394) Victor Ritzendollar sells 107.09 acres of land in Woodland Twp. to H. Alfred Freeman, of Queens NY. Price is $1000.00. “Old Sooy Place to White Horse.”

And another lot purchase.

1888 23 October: (deed B 276 P183) Another early land sale, Francis Sinclair purchases lots 8, 9, 10, 21, 22, and 23 in block 52. This deed is also in the “preprinted” format. No need to post it.

1888 25 October: Train excursion to Paisley. Description of the land and its high value.

New Jersey State Archives Alvin Lee Collection

1888 31 October: Building and Loan Prospectus is issued. A great investment!!

Pages 1 and 4 New Jersey State Archives Alvin Lee Collection

Pages 2 and 3 New Jersey State Archives Alvin Lee Collection

1888 2 November: (deed B W11 p442) Victor Ritzendollar sells 97.04 acres of land in Woodland Twp. to H. Alfred  Freeman, of Queens NY. Price is $500.00.

1888: H L Freeman bought at least 815 acres and paid about $4.50 for each acre. A summary by Dr. Alvin Lee suggests he purchased in total some 1400 acres at an average cost of $3.67.

1889 6 January: (The Sun, New York) Newspaper ad – Hotel to open first week in February. Mr. Sturgon and others make a miraculous recover, after three months, from lead poisoning and many other ailments. (Note: A Mr. Sturgon resold his land back to Freeman in September of 1888 after a June of 1888 purchase) (sale: B Z11 P 28) (purchase: B Z11 P 367)

6 January 1889 The Sun

Sale of two lots (22 and 23) by Freeman in Block 27 to James Sturgeon on July 10, 1888.

Book Z11 Page 28

Sale of two lots (22 and 23) by Sturgeon in Block 27 to Freeman on September 24, 1888.

Book W11 Page 367

1889 21 January: (The Sun, New York) Newspaper clipping – “It is announced that over 7,000 lots have been sold in the new town of Paisley, NJ., and that interesting town improvements are now underway.” (Last paragraph in story)

21 January 1889 The Sun

1889 4 February: (Burlington County Postmaster appointments) J Brooks is appointed the postmaster at Paisley. (Last name on page)

1889 5 May: (The Sun, New York) Newspaper article extolling virtues of Paisley.

“High and well drained land, pure drinking water, no typhoid or diphtheria, a sea breeze sweeps over it, the soil is fertile, 40 miles of streets and a mattress manufacturing company.”

5 May 1889 The Sun

1889 24 May: (New York Times) Newspaper story – “Whitings, N. J., May 23. Edward Rowe, a farmer living at Shamong, was found dead this morning on te road that leads from Paisley to the former place. He went to Paisley yesterday, and on his return was kicked to death by his horse. He was about 55 years of age.”

24 May 1889 New York Times

1889 26 May: (The World, New York) Newspaper ad – “Mr. Constant LeDuc came into our office of Thursday three weeks ago, a pitiable case of threatened suffocation from that frightful malady. He went to Paisley that day. The following Tuesday he came bounding up the stairway to our office like a schoolboy, two steps at a time, and stood before us cured.”

26 May 1889 transcript from The World

1889 4 June: (The Times, Philadelphia) Large ad for “Paisley the Magic City.”

4 June 1889 The Times, Philadelphia

1889 22 June: (The Times, Philadelphia) In the real estate section, H. A. Freeman says he will be in his new 1015 Arch Street office to sell corner lots at one-half the New York City price. One can also call for or send for the “beautifully illustrated newspaper, The Paisley Gazette.”

22 June 1889 The Times, Philadelphia

1889 4 July: (The Sun, New York) An interesting advertisement in the classified section. “A first-class upright piano by a leading maker taken in exchange for Paisley lots: having no use for it will sell for best offer at once: entirely new, very handsome; see it today (4th July) between 9 and 6 PM Paisley Improvement Co., 100 Duane St.”

4 July 1889 The Sun, New York

1889 14 July: (The Sun, New York) Newspaper ad, “Open up a new division in Paisley. A hotel, factory and residence are built and occupied.” A limit of five lots to one person is imposed.

14 July 1889 The Sun, New York

1889 28 July: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee Collection) Newspaper ad – “Lots which we sold a year ago are now worth from eight to fifteen times as much as we sold them for.”

28 July 1889 unknown newspaper

1889 5 October: (The Standard Union, Brooklyn, NY) Newspaper ad, “First ad in the Standard Union, so we will sell you one lot for $5.00 or four together for $20.00.” In addition, a year’s subscription to the Paisley Gazette is included!

5 October 1889, The Standard Union, Brooklyn, New York

1889 4 December: (The Sun, New York) Newspaper ad for a stock subscription to “The Paisley Hotel Company.” Only 100 shares at $1000 each will be sold. This implies it will help bring a railroad spur from Shamong Station to Paisley and, that it will make Paisley “as fashionable as Lakewood.”

4 December 1889, The Sun, New York

1889: (The Standard Union, Brooklyn, NY) Newspaper ad selling “$35.00 lots in Paisley for $5.00 each. “Trees, grass, flowers, fruit health and a fortune.”

1889 The Standard Union, Brooklyn, NY

1889: (The Paisley Gazette, volume 1 number10) A lot of “fluff articles,” some pictures of alleged buildings and a history of Paisley. All images come from the Alvin Lee Collection at the NJ State Archives

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3
Page 4

Page 5
Page 6

Page 7
Page 8

Page 9

Page 10

1890 26 January: (The Philadelphia Inquirer) Newspaper ad advertising lots for sale in Ocala, Florida. One can call at 1015 Arch Street for all particulars. Lots are $2.00 each and this is just to cover the cost of “plotting and transfer.” Mr. Freeman has expanded his land empire!

26 January 1890 Philadelphia Inquirer

1890 23 March: (The Brooklyn Citizen) Newspaper story describing how Mr. Freeman has expanded his sale of land to Ocala, Florida. Lots are selling for $3.00 to $5.00 each. “Mr. Freeman founded the well-known health resort of Paisley.”

23 March 1890 Brooklyn Citizen

1890 23 March: (The Brooklyn Citizen) Newspaper ad in the real estate section touting “Ocala, the Magnificent.”

23 March 1890 Brooklyn Citizen

1890 18 June: (The World, New York) Newspaper ad for lots at Paisley, $5.00 each. One can write to C. Leduc at Paisley for more information. On 1 November 1888 Constant LeDuc had purchased 7.9 acres from H. Freeman for $1070. This land was probably subdivided and sold directly by Mr. LeDuc.

18 June 1890 The World

1890 29 June: (New York Times) Newspaper ad for Paisley the Magic City. You can buy a “villa plot for $50.00 in a fashionable health resort.” “There are now 3000 enthusiastic lot owners.”

29 June 1890 New York Times

1890 15 July (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Deed acknowledgement for F. Sinclair’s purchase of ten lots in block 66. Look at that seal! Is that the Pope?

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1890 12 August: (The World, New York) Newspaper ad for $5.00 lots. “Railroad depot will be on my property.” Address; C Leduc, Paisley, NJ.

12 August 1890 The World

1890 Sep 7: (The Sun, New York) Newspaper ad “lots that could have been bought for $1.00 three years ago, I sold this month for $75.00 to $100.00 each.” H. A. Freeman, 100 Duane Street, NY. Branch at 565 West Taylor Street, Chicago.

“Subscribe for stock in the $50,000.00 hotel which will pay 10 per cent profit annually, can do so this week at my office.”

7 September 1890 The Sun

1890 9 September: (The World, New York) Newspaper story – Fruits of the Magic

City. Get your tasty watermelon!!     

9 September 1890 The World

1890 21 September: (New York Herald) News article – A five column, top to bottom almost full-page expo on H. A. Freeman and the Paisley development. A long read. It is this article which burst the dam of Freeman and LeDuc’s land fraud. Note the hand drawn illustrations drawn by the author’s companion, an artist.

Column 1a
Column 1b

Column 2a
Column 2b
Column 3a
Column 3b

Column 4a
Column 4b
Column 5a
Column 5b

1890 24 September: (The World, New York) Letter to the editor attacks the Herald for a story it published about Paisley. Apparently, the story was unkind to H. A. Freeman and his Paisley enterprise.

24 September 1890 The World
24 September 1890 The World

1890 24 September:­­ (New York Herald) News article – The New York Herald responds to criticism (via a “certificate of character”) of Freeman and his Paisley land scheme.

24 September 1890 New York Herald

1890 October 1: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Tax bill – H. P. Cortelyou is assessed $0.67 for lots 24 and 25, as well as lots 1 and 2 of blocks 322 and 86.

Front of post card – New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection
Back of postcard – New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1890 20 December: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Tax bill – H. P. Cortelyou is assessed $1.79 for lots 16-20 of block four. Net assessed value for the five lots is $40.00. Victor Ritzendollar is the tax collector.

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1891 2 March: (The World, New York) Newspaper ad – Selling lots valued at $35.00 for $10.00 each. You can also get a credit of $10.00 on a lot in Hempstead, Long Island, which sell for $75.00 to $100.00. H. A. Freeman – “I never break a promise. I have never gained an unworthy dollar.”

2 March 1891 The World 2

1891 7 March: (The World, New York) Newspaper ad – H. A. is selling other real estate from his 100 Duane Street address. They are in Mt Holly, Monmouth County and Bergen County.

7 March 1891 The World

1891 7 March: (The World, New York) Newspaper ad – “Today and tonight closes the great offer this week only to sell two Paisley lots so that they cost you absolutely nothing at last and give you a suburban home one hour from New York City at $1.00 per week.”

7 March 1891 The World

1891 Mar 8: (The World, New York) Newspaper ad – Buy two Paisley lots worth for $70.00 and one Hempstead lot valued at $150.00 by paying $75.00 in once weekly payments.

8 March 1891 The World

1891 15 May: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Land survey – H Cortelyou pays N. P. Todd to survey lots 24 and 25 of block 332. The cost is $2.00. One cannot wonder if markers were set as property boundaries.

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1891 14 July: (The Morning Post, Camden, NJ) Newspaper article – “How people from the city are gulled.”  The Freeman bubble has burst, and many “truths” are debunked.”

14 July 1891 The Morning Post, Camden part 1
14 July 1891 The Morning Post, Camden part 2
14 July 1891 The Morning Post, Camden part 3

1892 6 February: (Lakewood Times and Journal) Newspaper ad – Constant LeDuc advertises land sales of lots and 2-acre plots at South Park and West End. His address is Paisley, NJ.

6 February 1892 Lakewood Times and Journal

1892 3 March: (New Jersey Courier) Newspaper article – Postmaster General changes post office name form Paisley to South Park.

3 March 1892 New Jersey Courier

1892 17 May: (Camden Daily Telegram) Newspaper article – The house of Constant LeDuc and the post office at Paisley were destroyed by fire caused by a defective flue.”

17 May 1892 New Jersey Courier

1892 7 August: (New York Herald) Newspaper article – Lengthy story in which Freeman blames LeDuc for all his troubles. Freeman is also described as “amplitudinous.”

7 August 1892 New York Herald p1
7 August 1892 New York Herald p2
7 August 1892 New York Herald p3

7 August 1892 New York Herald p4

1892 8 August: (New York Herald) Newspaper article – The Paisley Building and Loan Association is in liquidation.

7 August 1892 New York Herald

1892 11 August: (New York Herald) Newspaper article – Story about Freeman’s many land schemes in Ocala, Florida, The Palisades, Brookwood and Blooming Grove in Pennsylvania.

11 August 1892 New York World part 1
11 August 1892 New York World part 2

1892 1 September (New Jersey Courier) Newspaper article – “Paisley is said to have died a natural death.”

1 September 1892 New Jersey Courier

1892 8 September: (New Jersey Courier) Newspaper article on General Clinton treasure located at Paisley.

8 September 1892 New Jersey Courier

1893 25 July: (Mount Holly News) Newspaper clipping – Paisley building lots sold at Public Auction.

25 July 1893 Mount Holly News

1893 1 August: (Mount Holly News) Newspaper clipping – “Constant LeDuc, one of the Paisley magnates, has gone to France to endeavor to get a colony of Frenchmen to come and settle on the sandy lands of Paisley, or South Park, as it is now called.”

1 August 1893 Mount Holly News

1893 7 December: (New York Herald) Newspaper article – Freeman has had Paisley’s name changed to South Park and is now selling farm size lots for $1.00 each (minimum of 20) and get a five-acre plot for free! It’s a one day only offer. The writer also uses the word “sesquipedalian” (long winded) when describing Freeman’s sentence writings.

7 December 1893 New York Herald p1
7 December 1893 New York Herald p2

1894 12 January: (The World, New York) Newspaper clipping – Fine lots in Paisley for sale, close to stores, hotel, church and post office. Looks like Freeman is still at it.

12 January 1894 The World

1895 24 March: (The World, New York) Newspaper clipping – Lots at Paisley for sale, $5.00 and up.

24 March 1895 The World

1896 21 June: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Receipt for taxes paid on lots 16-20, block 109 by H Cortelyou. Amount is $4.25.

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1896 15 September (Woodland Township Committee minutes) – Motion to lease township owned Paisley lots to Mrs. Marie LeDuc for $25.00 a year.

15 September 1896 Woodland Township Committee minutes New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1896 17 November (Woodland Township Committee minutes) Several references to Paisley lots.

17 November 1896 Woodland Township Committee minutes New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1897 3 January: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Letter from South Park resident H. S. Gamblin to “My dear husband,” concerning the executor of her will.

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1898 21 February: (Woodland Township Committee minutes) Committee agrees to drop all delinquent taxes (at Paisley) and not assess the properties.

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1899 9 February: (Philadelphia Inquirer) News article re water supply canal to be built from Atsion to the Delaware River.

9 February 1899 Philadelphia Inquirer part 1
9 February 1899 Philadelphia Inquirer part 2
9 February 1899 Philadelphia Inquirer part 3
9 February 1899 Philadelphia Inquirer part 4

1899 14 March: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Receipt for taxes paid on lots 16-20, block 109 by H. Cortelyou. Amount is $2.80.

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee Collection

1899 14 March: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Letter from Constant Leduc to H. Cortelyou regarding tax payment and mention of a canal from Philadelphia as well as a bicycle road to “join the Philadelphia stone road.”

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee Collection

1900 30 January: (Mount Holly News) Newspaper clipping – South Park post office closed with resignation of Constant LeDuc.

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee Collection

1900 8 May: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Receipt for taxes paid on lots 16-20, block 409 by H Cortelyou. Amount is $0.80.

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee Collection

1900 14 July: (Benjamin Freeman family tree on Ancestry.com) Henry Alfred Freeman passes away in Charlotte, North Carolina.

1900 15 July: (Charlotte Observer Sun, Charlotte, NC) News clipping about the death of Mr. H. A. Freeman, “traveling man from Chicago, died at St. Peters Hospital.”

15 July 1900 Charlotte Observer Sun, Charlotte, NC

1900 16 July: (Charlotte Observer Sun, Charlotte, NC) Newspaper story about Mr. H. A. Freeman, of Jamacia, NY. His wife and personal physician, Dr Wilcox, have arrived in town.

16 July 1900 Charlotte Observer Sun, Charlotte, NC

1900 17 July: (Charlotte Observer Sun, Charlotte, NC) News clipping – Son Mr. Edward Freeman has arrived in Charlotte.

17 July 1900 Charlotte Observer Sun, Charlotte, NC

Paisley was not the only land fraud Mr. Freeman initiated. In addition to the previously mentioned Ocala, Florida, there were at least three others. They were in Hempstead, Long Island; Brookwood, Pennsylvania: and Palisades, New Jersey. Ads for each of these are shown below and no further notes will be presented about them. You can see from the dates of the newspapers that Mr. Freeman was actually engaged in all five schemes at the same time!!

Hempstead, Long Island

11 May 1891 The Sun
19 July 1891 The Sun

Brookwood, at Blooming Grove, Pennsylvania

10 April 1892 The Sun
17 April 1892 The Sun

Castle Hill at Palisades, New Jersey

5 June 1892 The Sun
31 July 1892 The Sun

This concludes the H. A. Freeman era at Paisley in Tabernacle, New Jersey. Next, we will explore the Constant LeDuc era.

Notes on Paisley Part 2

1900 31 July: (Mount Holly News) Newspaper clipping – Question of Paisley land value. “Paradise Park,” a section of Paisley, valued at $2.00 an acre.

31 July 1900 Mount Holly News

1900 13 September: (Woodland Township Committee minutes) Township Committee gives Ira Gamble a permit to use and improve Lincoln Park at South Park.

13 September 1900 Woodland Township Committee minutes – New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee Collection

1900 13 November: (Mount Holly News) Newspaper clipping – An individual from South Africa asked about lots in Paisley, and a deed was recorded which had Brigham Young’s signature on it.

13 November 1900 Mount Holly News

1901 28 December: (Woodland Township Committee minutes) Tabernacle and Woodland Townships meet to discuss duplicate taxes, presumably at Paisley.

From Barry Foulks we have the following additional information (9 August 2022 Facebook posting)

Two names that stand out in this meeting are Victor Ritzendollar , who sold lots for Paisley in the first place to H. Alfred Freeman, as being on the Woodland Township Committee, and W. J. Buzby, “The King of the Pineys”, owner of Buzby’s General Store in what became Chatsworth, as an assessor. Several Haines mentioned here, and I wonder if the “C. Haines” Committee member is Carleton Haines (1869-1935) of Tabernacle, who also became the tax collector there? Woodland Township minutes for other meetings on this page show “Chatsworth Club House” tax was reduced from $13,000 to $7,500, and a Jonathan Godfrey to purchase, mostly at his own expense, a new road machine for Woodland Township. Jonathan Godfrey became one of the purchasers of that Chatsworth clubhouse property in 1908, see:  https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/tidbit.2986/ , Post #18. It was eventually bought by Anthony DeMarco (his son Garfield was a multimillionaire cranberry grower & the most powerful Republican in Burlington County), whose wife, Gladys Alloway, had ancestry going back to the beginning of our township, and connections to Tabernacle families even now.

28 December 1901 Woodland Township Committee minutes – New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee Collection

Constant Leduc is an incorporator of a Terra Cotta Company.

11 June 1901 Mount Holly News

1902 18 March: Constant Leduc named Justice of the Peace.

18 March 1902 Mount Holly Herald

1902 3 May: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Receipt for taxes paid on lots 16-20, block 409 by H Cortelyou. Amount is $1.60.

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1905 15 February: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Receipt for taxes paid on lots 16-20, block 409 by H. Cortelyou. Amount is $1.04.

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1906 1 May: (Mount Holly News) Newspaper article – Constant Leduc indicted for selling liquor without a license.

.

1 May 1906 Mount Holly News

1906 May: (Mount Holly News) Newspaper article – Constant Leduc fails to answer complaint and an arrest warrant is issued.

May 1906 Mount Holly News

1907 18 December: (New Jersey Mirror) Newspaper article – A New York will executor came to Mt Holly to determine the value of two inherited Paisley lots. He found they had no value.

“A. D. Rice, of Poughkeepsie, N. Y., the executor of a deceased relative’s estate (unable to determine name of decedent), came all the way down into Burlington County the other day to consult the records and ascertain what he could concerning two “building lots” at Paisley, which he found to be among the assets of the estate which he was administering. A few inquiries ventured at Burlington while waiting for a trolley car did not encourage the stranger much, and he looked as though he felt like turning around and starting back without even going over to Mount Holly, when the chance acquaintance whom he questioned said that it would probably have been better for the estate if he and saved the expense of carfare and let the lots go by default. This gloomy view was confirmed when after reaching Mount Holly he entered the County Clerk’s office just as the force was quitting work for the day. When the Poughkeepsie man explained his mission one of those connected with the office said with a smile, “as far as those lots are concerned, I would not stay here five minutes after hours to look up the record if you gave me the lots to pay me for the trouble.” He did stay, however, and the executor from Poughkeepsie concluded that he would not waste any more time or money in looking after the lots, especially as they were in arrears for taxes many years. Possibly there will be others in the Clerk’s office looking up city lots in Paisley, which is situated in the pines in Woodland township, several miles from the railroad station, which is at Chatsworth. Some years ago a good many “building lots” were sold to non-resident investors, it is said, who liked the prospectus and who had never seen the town of Paisley. …

18 December 1907 transcribed from The New Jersey Mirror

1908 13 March: (Woodland Township Committee minutes) Walter Sloan is given permission to move his house over the roads from South Park to Chatsworth. The railing on Union Dam is to be left in the same condition as it was found. This is the first relocation of Paisley buildings. It became a store in Chatsworth. Later a second building was moved all the way to Lumberton, where it remains today as a residence.

Woodland Township Committee Minutes – New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1908 5 May Unknown Leduc lawsuit. Perhaps his business partners in an unrecorded venture.

5 May 1908 Mount Holly Herald

1909 3 March: (Mount Holly News) Newspaper clipping – Constant Leduc and others form the Cooperative Cranberry Company.

3 March 1909 Mount Holly News

1909 6 May: (NJ Courier) Newspaper clipping – Constant Leduc sold 3,000 acres (for $15,000) of land at South Park to the Cooperative Cranberry Company of Philadelphia. An Italian colony is proposed there to start cranberry bogs and make improvements.

6 May 1909 New Jersey Courier

1909 1 July: (deed Leduc to Cooperative Cranberry Company B 452 P 42) In this deed Constant Leduc sells 3000 acres for $15,000 to the Cooperative Cranberry Company. The land is known as the “White Horse Meadow” and is on both sides of Main Street in South Park.

1910 13 Sep: (Mount Holly Herald) Newspaper clipping – note that Constant Leduc has collected $506.00 on an insurance policy for which he paid $2.40.

13 September 1910 Mount Holly Herald

1910 20 December: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Blank, generic Tabernacle Township tax form for “South Park, late Paisley.” Carleton Haines, the tax collector, will be at Arthur Haines’ store to collect taxes on the 20th of December.

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1910: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Handwritten list of 1910 uncollected taxes for South Park.

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1911 2 August: (Mount Holly Herald) Newspaper clipping wherein “Squire” Constant Leduc performs the marriage ceremony, at South Park, for Willis Brewer and Deborah Hart, both of Chatsworth.

2 August 1911 Mount Holly Herald

1912 23 July: Dr. Martin Curran swears out a warrant against Constant Leduc. Leduc allegedly horse whipped Curran over disagreements concerning Pine Crest Sanitarium on Apple Pie Hill.

23 July 1912 Newspaper unknown

1913 10 April: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Tabernacle Township tax sale announcement for several properties, probably includes Paisley lots. Sale to be held at the Mechanics Hall and conducted by Carleton Haines.

New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1913 29 April: (Mount Holly Herald) News clipping – Constant Leduc sues Ethelbert Haines, for unknown reasons.

29 April 1913 Mount Holly Herald

1913 30 December: (Trenton Evening Times) News clipping – Constant Leduc and nephew Albert, were indited, along with several others, for not filing required expense statements.

30 December 1913 Trenton Evening Times

1914 9 June: (Mount Holly Herald) Newspaper clipping which reports Constant Leduc earning $21.00 for “fox bounty.”

9 June 1914 Mount Holly Herald

1914 30 June: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) – Newspaper letter from Dr. Curran defending his actions and attacking the newspaper’s “disapproved of the sense which your reporter intended to report.”

30 June 1914 Unknown newspaper letter – New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1914 29 December: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) – Newspaper story of “shrewd investigators” visiting Tabernacle, South Park and Chatsworth in connection with postal frauds.

29 December 1914 Unknown newspaper – New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection

1918 31 December: (Mount Holly News) News clipping – Constant Leduc vs Ethelbert M. Haines lawsuit, notice only.

31 December 1918 Mount Holly News

1924 19 July: (Courier Post) Obit of Constant Leduc.

19 July 1924 Camden Courier Post

14 November 1925: (Newark Evening News) Newspaper story – “a journey through the pine wilderness” includes a short recollection of a meeting with a Paisley resident.

The Albert Leduc Era

Albert Leduc is the nephew of Constant Leduc.

1929 12 April: (Courier Post) Newspaper story – Albert Leduc leases land to the National Guard for an outdoor pistol range.

12 April 1929 Courier Post

1929 2 July: (Morning Post) Newspaper story – Section Fire Warden Leduc catches camper with open fire and Judge imposes fine.

22 July 1929 Morning Post

1931 5 May: (Trenton Evening Times) Newspaper story – Albert Leduc has been hospitalized in a near fatal accident on Eayerstown-Vincentown Road. His injury is probably “fatal.”

5 May 1931 Trenton Evening Times

1934 25 January: (Courier Post) Newspaper article – Henry Beck provides a history of Paisley. Mrs. Constant LeDuc interviewed.

25 January 1934 Courier Post part 1
25 January 1934 Courier Post part 2
25 January 1934 Courier Post part 3
25 January 1934 Courier Post part 4
25 January 1934 Courier Post part 5
25 January 1934 Courier Post part 6
25 January 1934 Courier Post part 7
25 January 1934 Courier Post part 8
1934 ruins of the Music Hall – Courier Post
Leduc homestead in 1934 – Courier Post
1934 Hotel ruins – Courier Post

1935 27 February: (The Record) Newspaper article – Fire Warden Albert Leduc investigates fatal oil stove fire.

27 February 1935 The Record

1936 2 July: (Home News) Newspaper article – Fire Warden Albert Leduc heavily criticized method to extinguish forest fire in which five were killed.

2 July 1936 Home News

1937 24 September: (Mount Holly Herald) Obituary of Marie Leduc.

24 September 1937 Mount Holly Herald

1938 20 August: (The Morning Post) Newspaper article – Albert Leduc was elected Commander of Mount Holly Post #11 of the American Legion.

20 August 1938 The Morning Post

1944 24 July: (Courier Post) Newspaper article – Albert LeDuc retires from Forest Fire Service after 21 years.

24 July 1944 Courier Post

1950 15 January: (Trenton Evening Times) Newspaper article – Albert Leduc’s wife Maude retires as missionary at Johnson Place after 32 years.

15 January 1950 Trenton Evening Times

1951 20 September: (Courier Post) Obituary for Albert LeDuc. He was an organizer of the Carranza Memorial ceremony.

20 September 1951 Courier Post

Dr. Alvin Lee Study of Paisley and other articles

1937 28 November: (Asbury Park Press) Newspaper article – Dr. Alvin Lee is interviewed on his study of land schemes in the pines. The pines are a “haven for people who promote various types of unsound land development schemes.”

1938: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Questionnaire page 1 – Dr Lee sent out a few hundred of these to current and former owners at Paisley.

1938: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Questionnaire page 2 – Dr Lee sent out a few hundred of these to current and former owners at Paisley.

1938: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Questionnaire page 3 – Dr Lee sent out a few hundred of these to current and former owners at Paisley.

1938 26 May: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Letter from Dr. Lee to Philip Tischler regarding taxes paid on a Paisley lot.

1938 26 May: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Page 1 of questionnaire response from Benjamin Liffler.

1938 26 May: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Page 2 of questionnaire response from Benjamin Liffler.

1938 7 June: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Letter from Dr. Lee to Mrs. Hosea Moore, tax collector regarding an address.

1938 August 25: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Letter from Tabernacle tax collector Belle Moore to Alvin Lee regarding tax collections.

1938 14 September: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) letter and firsthand account of 1888 excursion to Paisley. See 1888 date.

1938 11 October: (The Daily Journal) Newspaper article describing “paper towns” in the Pine Barrens.

1938 November: (New Jersey Archives Alvin Lee collection) Letter from Francis Sinclair describing his family’s summer vacations in Paisley. He also notes he has deeds from some “Florida lots, mostly underwater.”

Dr Alvin Lee report

1940 15 February: (Ridgewood Herald) Newspaper article about “Paisley promotion scheme.”

1940 29 February: (Daily Home News) Newspaper article on property tax delinquencies mentions Paisley.

1940 May (American Society of Planning Officials) Land speculation story drawing from the Dr. Alvin Lee report.

1941 29 September: (Courier Post) Newspaper article by Henry Beck discusses Paisley and mentions “excelsior” lying about the mattress factory area. See 30 July 1888 article. “Excelsior” was used as an accelerant for an arson fire at H. A. Freeman’s office building.

1950 16 March: (Mount Holly Herald) Newspaper article – Nat Ewan writes about Paisley and displays “Paisley Gazette” owned by Albert Leduc.

1982 27 May: (Courier Post) Newspaper article – About the Higgenbothem family and their connection to Paisley.

1996: (Batsto Citizen’s Gazette) Newspaper article – discusses Paisley as a land scheme.