The very first school in central Tabernacle may have been built as early as 1856. It was in this year that Charles Bowker donated land across the road from the Cemetery and a school house was erected. This information comes from an unpublished graduate thesis written in 1987 by Lillie Fitzpatrick.
This date has also been written, by an early resident and donor, on a 1904 picture of the school. While it is also written that this was “the first school at the Tabernacle Cemetery,” local history and Ms Fitzpatrick’s paper state it was actually on the site of our Town Hall. We are continuing to research and refine our knowledge of it’s true location.
From an 1885 map of the Cemetery’s rows and lots, we do see a building foundation along Carranza Road. It is marked “Meeting House.” However it was removed by 1885 so is not the one room school house.
Prior to the construction of the 1856 school house, children were taught inside the original log church located within the cemetery grounds.